WATER WISE GULF SOUTH is a group of community advocates and water professionals who share a commitment to strengthening public awareness and use of green infrastructure in the Gulf South.
Water Wise Gulf South began as Water Wise NOLA. The collaboration was founded in 2013 with a partnership between Dana Brown & Associates, Recharge NOLA, Imagine Water Works (formally known as Water Works), Bayou Land, and Global Green. In 2018, Water Wise NOLA was incorporated as Water Wise Gulf South and the founders are listed as Dana Brown, Hilairie Schackai, and Jeffrey Supak. Water Wise Gulf South is a collective that includes a formal partnership between the following entities:
- Greater Tremé Consortium, est. 2016
- Healthy Community Services, est. 2017
- Upper 9th Ward Bunny Friend Neighborhood Association, est. 2019
- Hollygrove-Dixon Neighborhood Association, est. 2020
- Idlewood-Parkwood Neighborhood Association, est. 2021
- Lower 9th Ward Homeownership Association, est. 2022
Collaboration – Education – Implementation – Advocacy
Water Wise Gulf South collaborates with Community Based Organizations to advance green infrastructure. Together, we raise awareness and provide education on green infrastructure. We grow a network of community advocates, known as the Water Wise Neighborhood Champions. We install green infrastructure projects at the homes of Water Wise Neighborhood Champions, at small businesses, churches, community centers, on vacant lots and in public rights-of-way. With the Water Wise Neighborhood Champions and Community Based Organizations, we advocate for the implementation of large-scale green infrastructure installations to improve our communities.
Why GREEN INFRASTRUCTURE?
Many communities in the Gulf South are plagued by chronic flooding and climate change is exacerbating this issue. Green infrastructure is a tool to improve stormwater management and reduce the risk of localized flooding. Green infrastructure provides many benefits:
- Improves drainage and lessens localized flooding
- Reduces Soil Subsidence
- Protects the Water Quality of Local Waterways
- Enhances Air Quality
- Improves Public Health Outcomes
- Cools the Urban Environment
- Beautifies Our Neighborhoods
- Strengthens Community Livability